PMRF : A gift for research students in India
PMRF is a very lucrative option in the research domain. PMRF stands for Prime Minister Research Fellowship. It was announced in 2018-19. The Indian government has commenced this concept so that the quality of research in science and technology is broadened and improved. Also, this method helps the students to learn and perform their experiments and researches in India's prestigious institutes. The Indian institutes that offer this plan involve all IITs, Indian Institute of Science and Bengaluru, Central Universities, NITs, and all the IISERs. This is one of the most adequate and promising visions to nurture Academic potential and research-oriented students to procure early in academic research.
How to Apply for PMRF:
According to the guidelines, the applicants can apply for the Prime minister research fellowship through two channels:
- Direct Entry Channel
- Lateral Entry Channel
DIRECT ENTRY CHANNEL:
To apply for this scheme through Direct Entry Channel, candidates should fulfill the following norms:
- The candidate should have completed or been pursuing the final year of Bachelor's or Master's degree in Science and Technology field from any of the educational institutes or universities in India with a CGPA of 8.0 or above and GATE score of 650 or above in the relevant subject.
- Aspirants should qualify GATE and finished or be pursuing M.Tech./MS by research at one of the PMRF Granting Institutes.
- They should score a minimum CGPA of 8.0 or above at the end of the first semester with a minimum of four courses.
- Candidates apply and get allotted in the Ph.D. program in one of the PMRF granting institutes.
- The Prime Minister Research Fellowship granting institute, which has approved the student in the Ph.D. program through the formal selection criteria in interviews, makes strong guidance for the honor of the plan in view of the aspirant's merit.
- The metrics on which the aspirants will be judged will involve but not limited to research exposure, publications, performance in international academic competitions, grades, and recommendation letters.
LATERAL ENTRY CHANNEL:
To apply for this scheme through Lateral Entry Channel, candidates should fulfill the following norms:
- The aspirant should be pursuing a Ph.D. in one of the PMRF granting institutions.
- Moreover, aspirants should have finished off 12 months in the Ph.D. program if the aspirant joined the program with a Master's degree.
- Along with that, aspirants should have completed 24 months in the Ph.D. program if they joined the Ph.D. program with a Bachelor's degree.
- Aspirants should have finished at least four courses in the Ph.D. program with CGPA / CPI of 8.5 or above.
- The Prime Minister Research Fellowship Granting Institute, in which the student is enrolled, makes powerful guidance for the aspirant and uploads the appropriate information on the PMRF web-portal, in view of their merit clearly demonstrated during the first 12-24 months of the program.
- The metrics on which the aspirants will be judged comprise but not prohibited to a strong research proposal, publications record, and grades. Proper weightage should be given to publication in reputed journals.
The important thing before applying for this scheme is that students must fill the form and submit it in a given period of time. Forms are not accepted after the deadline.
IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS REQUIRED:
Following are the mandatory things that applicants should carry with them before filling the application form:
- A passport size photograph is required.
- Scanned copies of important grades or mark sheets are a must.
- A photocopy of aadhar card is required.
- Copy of the GATE qualifying certificate is needed.
- Abstract copy in the form of pdf is required with at least 1000 words.
- CV of two A4 sheets should be submitted in pdf format.
- Your CV should comprise your academic achievements and your skills.
After the process of eligibility is completed and the applicant is finally selected through a specified selection process they are proposed to the Ph.D. program in IIT's/IISC/NITs/IISERs/Central Universities. This plan provides INR 70,000 monthly to the students of 1st and 2nd years, INR 75,000 monthly to the students of 3rd year, and INR 80,000 monthly to the students of the 4th and 5th year. The best thing about this scholarship is that it is tax-free. Along with that they also provide students INR 2 lac per annum for academic provisions. This method is called the grant given for research. The 5-year scholarship is given to those students who pursue a Ph.D. after B.tech and a 4-year scholarship to those who pursue a Ph.D. after M.tech. The rigorous examination is conducted at the end of the year and the continuation of fellowship is followed by a successful assessment.
Also, there is no reservation quota in this fellowship. There are no interviews conducted for the plan.
DEADLINES FOR PMRF:
- The deadline for 2020 in August.
- The deadline for direct entry is similar to the deadlines of Ph.D. applications at PMRF granting institutes.
- The deadline for lateral entry within 12 months of joining a Ph.D. for master's degree holders and 24 months joining Ph.D. for bachelor's degree holders.
BROAD DISCIPLINE COVERED IN THE PLAN:
- Agriculture and Food engineering
- Aerospace engineering
- Biological sciences
- Electrical engineering
- Engineering design
- Biomedical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Chemical engineering
- Computer science
- Mechanical engineering
- Textile engineering
- Mining, Mineral, Coal, Energy Sector
- Ocean Engineering and Naval architecture
- Material science and Metallurgical engineering
- Interdisciplinary programs in science and engineering
LIST OF HOST INSTITUTIONS FOR THE SCHEME:
Following are the institutes who will host the candidates for Ph.D. program:
- The University of Delhi
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Banaras Hindu University
- All IISERs
- IISC Bangalore
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- University of Hyderabad
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
STEPS OF APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Visit the official web page of PMRF and read the instruction thoroughly before applying.
- Apply for a regular Ph.D. program either through direct or lateral entry channel in one of the PMRF granting institutes.
- If selected through a direct entry channel the institute will further nominate the candidates for the scholarship. And if candidates are selected through a lateral entry channel, they will be nominated through the institute in which they are pursuing the Ph.D.